Saturday, June 13, 2009

NY Promotional Events - Big Time Scam

Right now there are many many college students and laid-off professionals searching online and throughout the news ads for decent salary positions, not just for career improvement, but to at least keep up with bills and debt they acquired.

As we speak, many sites like Monster.com, Jobster.com, myspace jobs and Employmentguide.com hold listings of any and all positions available around your area. While many of these positions are professional, legit, and secure, others are complete scams.

My goal in creating this blog is to protect as many job-lookers from wasting their time and energy being caught into scams like NY Promotional Events. This is a company which identifies itself as a Marketing Group. They claim to offer positions in marketing, customer service, public relations, and client management. Their ads will follow statements along these lines:

*************************************************************************************


HELP WANTED:

MARKETING

College students/College Grads/ Internships/Asst. Manager/Manager/GRAND OPENING. Event Promo Co. We specialize in events for children's charities, sporting events, and the cosmetics industry. 10 OPENINGS ! Training in all divisions. Fun, positive, prof'l image, people oriented a MUST! $45k 1st year in sal/comm. NO EXP necessary. Call KIM at (631)-860-0232 for information!


*************************************************************************************

FIRST THINGS FIRST...


Now you will notice that they give you a salary range, they tell you the amount of openings, and open with a display of the types of positions available. When you call that number you will speak to a rep named Alexandra Giblin, an extremely friendly woman with a very positive and enthusiastic voice. She will welcome your interest with a warm greeting, and tell you that NY Promotional Events has positions in marketing, public relations, customer service, client management, and that you will help her around the office. She asks you if you are familiar with organizations like DARE, Child Safety Inc, and Operation Smile. "Allie" informs you NY Promotional Events runs marketing for these organizations.

The way this auto-presentation is set leads you to believe that she is the marketing rep, and that you will be her "marketing assistant" almost. Now, of course she does not directly claim this, but this is the general impression you get. There's an entire load of information you are NOT TOLD.




MY EXPERIENCE 


She invites you for an interview on the spot. She tells you to bring your resume. That should have been Clue # 1 for me, but I was so excited to get an interview for a Marketing position, that I didn't care at the moment.

I came with my resume and a small cover letter, and drove to 94 East Jefryn Blvd.

Deer Park, NY 11756 for my first interview. I noticed that there was a whole batch of other kids in the long, but narrow hallway of this office. Alexandra was in the front desk, much to my surprise. I imagined she would have her own office, but it's then that you discover she is their one and only secretary, not a marketing agent herself.


She smiles when she sees you, takes your resume, has you fill out an application, and makes a few jokes to lighten you up a bit. Depending on whether your are looking for part time or full time work/internship, you will either speak to Jessica or Rob in your first interview.I spoke to Rob whose quite the friendly gentleman. He explains to you that NY Promotional Events runs fundraising events for non-profit organizations and for major companies like Nascar. He will inform you that they are either a "direct marketing" or "alternative marketing" group. He asks you what your interests are, then tells you his background story. Out of the little amount of respect I have left, I will not tell you his story. You can find out yourself if you have the time to waste. 


Key points:


1) When you ask what you will be doing, he tells you running events and gives you a vague idea of the event. He informs you that if called for a second interview, you will observe in an all day event. 


Truth: The event is not a real event. You will either be soliciting drivers at a gas station by trying to sell them car wax, or you will be harassing random people on the side walk trying to get them to sign up for charities with their debit/credit cards, or you will stand all day in front of a BJ's, Walmart, etc. doing the same harassing and soliciting of potential customers.


2) When you ask what the pay and benefits are, he or Jessica will tell you that this is all explained in your final interview. If you insist on asking why, he or she will tell you that the pay and benefits vary depending on the position. 


Truth: This is the kicker. There are only 2 real types of positions available. Sales and Sales Manager. And it's not even really a sales position, it's SOLICITING. Also, there is NO BASE SALARY. They won't tell you until much later that the pay is 100% Commission based. There are also no benefits. It's not a real job. 


3 Initially, you are told that proceeds from these funds go to charities like DARE and Child Safety Inc., and to support the Troops in Iraq. 


Truth: However, you don't find out until the second interview, or until your "first day" that only 5% of the proceeds of sales goes to the charities, while 95% goes straight to NY Promotional Events. You, the solicitor, I mean "Marketing rep" don't get anywhere that amount for pay.


4) They will ask you how soon can you start. If you say that you plan to give your current job a 2 weeks notice, they will insist that you give sooner availability. They will tell you that positions fill up immediately, and they would you need you immediately after being hired. They have no consideration for your current job, and make you believe that this job is the "real deal" and that you would be crazy to not grab it.


Truth: The positions fill up "immediately" because NY Promotional Events is in a constant state of hiring. They hire every week. They need to in order to keep their circular income generating. They cannot maintain themselves without hiring more and more and more mislead "employees", who end up quitting later after realizing they have been conned. 






OVER ALL SUMMARY OF THE SCAM



Why and how is NY Promotional Events a Scam company ? Because they do not offer real marketing positions, they offer soliciting positions. They do not offer a good salary, all your income is completely commission based, and the most you could possibly make is around $200.00 after two weeks, if you are lucky. 


They falsely advertise themselves as a legit Marketing Group, when in reality they are a Pyramid Scheme. The only people who make any real money are Jessica, Rob, Vito, and Alexandra, because they receive the BULK of the profit made from sales that you and so many others slave away for.


There is no real employment. You are not a true employee of NY Promotional Events since there is NO SALARY and NO BENEFITS available. You are an Independent Distributor who works off commission. 


If they would advertise themselves truthfully, then they could not be called a scam company. However, if they did advertise themselves honestly, no one would EVER apply. That is why they lure you in with false claims of having "numerous positions" available. They will always have spots available, but as for marketing positions..they don't exist here. It's pure solicitation. 



CONCLUSION



Do not waste your time with NY Promotional Events



If you want a serious marketing position, there are legit positions available on any company's original home page. If you want sales, apply to a Best Buy or Target. They'll at least provide you a real salary with benefits. 


If you went to school for a serious position, do not waste your time with this scam company. You will gain absolutely nothing from it, save solicitation expertise.


I wondered how this company can even exist so long...well, they technically haven't. They changed their name numerous times. They used to be called "Island Events". They belong to a string of scam-companies under the umbrella of "Quantum Events". 


While it is true that 5% of all proceeds go to respectable charities, and these charities like DARE and Child Safety Inc. recieve pure profit as to enable quality services for good causes, the actual "employee" is scammed and abused. 

If you have no bills, live with your parents, and have time to kill..then sure, apply. You can make some* money, and if you like outdoors, you'll get to spend a lot of time out doors (unless you are stuck soliciting inside BJ's or Walmart). 

But if you need a real job with true security, an actual salary, and benefits...then look elsewhere. 



*********************************************************************************


Don't just take my word for it, Check out these links for more information:


http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/340/RipOff0340037.htm

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=473802

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/383/RipOff0383496.htm





Tips for how to avoid Scam Jobs:

1) Watch for ads that offer marketing or administration positions with NO EXP necessary.

2) Beware of job descriptions that display in the salary: "To Be Discussed" or "Unspecified". If a position is legit and secure, they won't be afraid to reveal hourly or yearly salary.

3) If a job description is VAGUE and non-specific, ask questions.

4) If a job or agency EVER asks for a fee, or money upfront, DO NOT PARTICIPATE.

5) Always be suspicious if a company or agency offers you an immediate interview without actually reviewing your resume. 

6) Always check if the company is approved under the Better Business Bureau.



Good luck to everyone trying to make it in their field. Just use your common sense and do not waste your time with scams. Hopefully this helps someone, and eventually forces scam companies like NY Promotional Events to stop scamming on people in need for their own selfish gains. 

Do not let yourself be used in such a way. Remember: Background checks go BOTH WAYS. Always do your research on a company before working for them. 

-Anti Scam Rebel 




42 comments:

  1. http://nypromotionaleventsscam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on an interview with this company a few months ago after i was laid off by my old job. What a joke of a company.. they expect people with a college education to stand out there in a suit to harrass people in gas stations. I went on the 2 interview and flat out told the guy i was with that i will not be marketing this wax product. Please avoid companies like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i was going to go to an interview with them 07/30/09 but something says google their company and see if they are a scam i have been out of a job for three months i have wasted alot of money runing back and forth to long island , brooklyn, nj , manhatten for a job and all these jobs that i apply for 90 percent of them is scams and i have bill up my ass to pay and im down to last amount of savings money and im tired of these scam artists working off peoples , honest people that needs a job its sad thank you so much for telling me before i went out there and waste my time thank you guys for being honest, i hope to guys find good jobs and god bless you and these scammers i hope they get wat they deserve one day thanks again.PS. IN MY GUT I KNEW THIS WAS A SCAM FOR SOME REASON I KNEW IT WAS A SCAM . IGUESS AS THEY ALWAYS SAY LISTEN TO UR GUT..

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are lots of jobs in Hyderabad, so why can't you just apply for those jobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexandra called me today (10-27-09) and scheduled an interview...and I asked her how she got my resume, and what type of company she had, location etc...I kinda knew in my gut it was a scam but I looked them up either way. Their website is not in any search engine, the only way you view it is if you type the address from their email. What bothers is that they have my home address and phone number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I recieved an email on them congradulating me for me being one of the qualifited candidates to call kim for an interview. I asked myself how they got my email, good thing i googled them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for this. I just cancelled my interview. I'm so tired of these rediculous companies that take advantage of people. Searching for a job is hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now they want you to freeze your butts off soliciting (begging) for an Auto Glass Company at your local gas station or a car wash.They want you to walk any where or place that has cars.Different script this time " Hi my name abcdef and I work for blah blah Auto Glass, Have you herd about us". Target Replys "No", Abcdef says "well we are the largest auto glass company on long island and we are here looking at cars to see if there is any chips or cracks that may be a saftey hazard for you and your family"...The ice breaker they call it...except they want you to misled someone into giving up their insurance information or personal information so that they can solicate you for a windshield repair or replacement.Futher more if it has a chip in the window and it covered by their insurance company, they want you to fill it in!!! I spoke to a Friend of mine and he informed me that if I was to do the repairs I could be fined by the state because I need to own or be employed by a registered repair shop, which their not. Does it ever end! Whens the attorney general going to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a scam I did this for 2 days on the second day walked off after 20 minutes they never paid me but I got a w2 in the mail.. What a shit company.. Who uses terms like "juice" in a business don't waste your time there a bunch of idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I looked this up... I went on several interviews in Florida back in August of 2009 and all of them were the same!!! I think it was (5) in total. I wasted my time then, glad I didnt make that mistake again. I want so bad to call them out on it!!!!! it angers me that these businesses exisit!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got a W2 from them too and "worked" for maybe 3 days for them back in August - AND I didn't get paid! They expect me to pay taxes for a job that didn't even give me my money??!! I couldn't believe that I saw all of this now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did this for a week and wanted to quit after the first hour but wanted to see what kind of money could be made in a week. After the humiliation of selling car wax at a hole in the ground gas station, wearing a nice suit everyday, it paid about 130 bucks.

    Another thing they refuse to tell you is about their "cut-off" time for the end of the day. When Rob tells you your work day is 830-4, that means you show up at 830 and take notes on selling as if your in grade school again, then there's a whole ra-ra cheering part where they try to get you rallied up to go sell. O yea that part takes about 2 hrs....2 hrs that your not getting paid!!! Then when you think your job is done for the day at 4 you find that they make you stay later and later as the week goes on. The one Thursday I worked I didn't leave the gas station until 730 pm!

    Then that Friday they made me drive to their Westchester office to work for the day with that branch, and sent me to a gas station an hour away, I live in Eastern Suffolk...

    This company is a complete joke. Ive never been more embarrassed to tell people where I worked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL....i knew something was not right when they just called me. what jerks. just cancelled my interview. Thank U!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Canceling my interview as we speak. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks very very much for posting this. I googled "NY Promotional Scam" before responding to their email because I had a bad feeling. I have also been lured into something like this before and so has a friend of mine. I think it is sick how they lure young ppl in to waste their time. You are right- if the ppl hiring you can't answer specific questions over the phone it is a dead give away something is wrong. I hope more and more ppl gain awareness of this. Unfortunately this is the drawback of internet job searching, however this is the way it is done these days. Thanks again,
    -Samantha 23 years old

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow...just scheduled an interview...so glad i googled this..thanks for saving me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They have removed thier "company name" from thier ads on craigslist, so I didn't know the company till after I sent cover letter/resume email. The response email was from Alexandra Giblin!! That was my only red flag. They are getting slyer..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alexandra just called me to schedule an interview now after reading all of this I'm not even bothering to cancel it Im just not gonna go...I cant believe people now a days..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have an interview scheduled for 11AM....I am canceling first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. change of mind. why bother calling them....^^ agree

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANK YOU! You just saved me a lot of time and frustration, thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just canceled my interview scheduled for tomorrow. I'm so thankful that I stumbled upon this blog post to confirm my gut feeling that things were not right. My other tip-off was that the address on Google maps listed all companies located at that address, but NY Promotional Events was not mentioned. Their web site also has a copyright of 2008 (what business doesn't maintain their site?) and it was vague to the point of absurdity.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HAHA I had a feeling this wasn't legit. I didn't bother to call and cancel this morning for the "interview". Serves them right!

    ReplyDelete
  24. After reading all of this, instead of just cancelling I figured I'd be honest and tell this Alexandra Giblin why I was cancelling my interview for today and got a very angry response from her. Entertaining stuff.

    "Sorry, I will not be able to make the interview, I got offered another position and heard bad things about your company after research, do not want to waste your time or my own. exploit someone else. Thank You."- Me

    "

    Really that quickly, I am sorry you feel that way. Its a bunch of lies they write on the internet. Its a long story from a disgruntled employee. We took over the last office, its all new management, we offer competetive salaries, as well as commisions, bonus, etc. Growth is real or else I wouldnt be here. I also dont believe that Fortune 500 companies would associate with a company that these blogs speak of. such as the Daytona 500 with Nascar, Home Depot,Victoria Jackson, DirectTV, and Pilkington. Please google one of these companies and tell me what you find. All large companies such as McDonalds have negative Feedback ( gets you fat yadayadayada) but that doesnt mean we stopped eating there or that we wouldnt work there. Just because of what someone else said. This reponse is nothing new to me which is why I can't believe people are believeing an ad that was posting years ago. Companies grow and move on. And if you didnt want to give it a chance, NO problem I defintely dont want to waste my time with someone who may not have what it takes if they believe everything they read on the internet.

    Next I suggest you make your own decision about a company and not listen to anyone else...especially people you dont know.

    Good Luck
    Alexandra Giblin
    Proud HR Manager who loves her JOB." Her

    I'm going to leave it be, because she has my personal information and I don't want to be firebombed by these low lives but thought it was fun to mess with them for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dude, whoever made this site...I praise you! I went through the internet process last summer, got the job and realized how much of a fucking douche bag ROB is, Jessica and Alex you were very nice :), but the way you mis-lead your employees is insane. I would advise everyone to stay clear of NY Promotional event because it is a scam. I worked for this company for 2 weeks and realized that in no way will I spend 50 hours a week standing outside a gas station or fuckin CVS to sell shit and ruin peoples days. EVERYTHING THEY TELL YOU IN THE INTERVIEW IS A LIE!

    -you will not get a salary
    -you have to be in the office at 7am and work till 6pm
    -you litterally stand outside and bother people to buy shit
    -THERE IS NO EVENTS! you set up a table and stand there!!
    -they make you chant the word "JUICE"...seriously
    -ROB... YOURE A FUCKING FAGGG

    ReplyDelete
  26. I worked there for a couple of weeks. If Dezi524 (right above my comment) is who I think she is, then I actually worked with her.

    In short, they'll convince you to work weekends, all the money you make will be spent on gasoline since they require you to drive and do NOT compensate you for travelling expenses. If you show dissatisfaction with any part of the job, they will punish you by sending you to a desolate location. Also, half their time is spent convincing you to keep the job because if they didn't you would leave in half a day. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wrote this company an email tonight. I had gone on an interview this morning bc I need a job. I was excited bc they seemed so into hiring, but still skeptical. I know the business world, and that is not how it is run. Tell me what you think of the email: Drop me a line at cuss_usa@yahoo.com

    "Actually, I have been reading through a few sites, and spoke to an actual person. This is wrong business. I felt off today in the interview.

    I am being approached to create a website about your company and its falsies. I am strongly considering this because not only did I waste time, gas, and miles, but others have too. Others that are laid off and maybe with family. Others without money for gas or taking time from other interviews; other real interviews. You as a company have to know that there are negative words out there about you. You HAVE to be Googling yourself and company. It almost seems some people coming in there felt like it was border line slave work. You need to be up front with people. These are people looking to improve their life style. So…with that said, I will strongly think about this website. I do have a lot of contacts in the business and social network. How are you OK with this?"

    ReplyDelete
  28. I went on an interview back in July because like many people i was laid off & honestly i was desperate to get a job (who isn't these days! lol) i spoke with Alexandra on the interview who made averything sound so great & wonderful, basically i'd become "manager" & be running one of the NYPE new locations that they were gonna be opening soon! LOL Alexandra (the hyper-super happy leader!) said she wanted me to come back for the second interview & when i went all these people were so happy & hyped! everybody went outside because it was time to go to the location of the "event" i thought we'd be going together but no! everybody drives their own car & nobody gaves you gas money! i just got fed up with the whole thing it was sooo ridiculous!!! so halfway to the location i just called them & said i wasn't going anymore so i made up an excuse & Alexandra seemed to be upset because i "wasted her time because not everybody gets a chance to get a second interview blah blah blah" so i told her she & her too happy & overdosed on RedBull team are the ones who wasted my time because i could actually be getting a real job & the whole thing was just stupid too good to be true! what if i get into an accident while working for them?? they don't care!! i knew they were promoting a glass co. but i didn't know they stood a gas station!! i thought it was a nice location since they want people to be dressed up nicely!! THESE PEOPLE ARE RIDICULOUS!! IF YOU HAVE AN INTERVIEW DON'T GO & DON'T BOTHER CALLING TO CANCEL BECAUSE THEY ARE SO PHONY & FAKE ITS JUST A WASTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow. I fell into this trap unsuspectingly! I have BA in English and have been desperate for work experience and an amazing salary but currently have a good paying job and the GREATEST INTERNSHIP EVER. I was so excited when I received an email from Alexandra saying that she'd contacted me earlier (which I must have overlooked) and that she wanted to meet with me because she really thought I was a good fit for the job. I responded right away but was immediately turned off by how she insisted that I meet with her at times that weren't convenient for me. I told her I work Mondays through Fridays (and not only had I been billed but I've got bills to pay and can't afford to take work days off). She still insisted on meeting with me within the next two days even though I told her my schedule was packed tight. Finally we settled on another date and I'm SO glad that I persisted. But she never specified a time or a place as interviewers normally do. I questioned whether I'd gone about it the wrong way but was confident that I maintained a proper level of professionalism even if I wasn't being flexible. I reread the job description and saw that they hire interns and wondered what kind of job they would offer me. I don't plan to go to that interview especially since thats my day off! Thank God I did my research. I'll continue my job search more wary of scams like these thanks to this blog post!

    Happy job hunting everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks very much, just got their autoresponse to call for an interview and luckily my boyfriend told me to google them first, which led me to your blog. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Any relation to the NY Promotional Events and Associates with Offices in Floral Park, NY?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah. The Deer Park and Floral Park NYPEs are the same company. I interviewed at the Floral Park location back in December, and was hired. They sent me to the Deer Park office for my first day because they "sometimes like to mix things up" so that we can "meet the rest of the team." Realized how much of a scam it was within one hour of getting to the "event" at Home Depot. I just left, even though the guy who was supposed to be training me hitched a ride in my car. I still have his phone charger that he left in my car somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wat a joke. im so happy to find this website. i just went on the interview and got invited for the 2nd interview and had a feeling this place was a scam. what a waste of time and gas money. you lose more money thN YOU WILL MAKE MONEY AND THAT IS A FACT. this company is bull shoot....

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. THANK YOU so much for this blog. I was skeptical when I received the e-mail from NYPE and decided to do some research on my own before I even responded to them. Now i truly know that my gut feeling was right and that they are indeed a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wish i saw this site before going to the interview today. I searched for info on the site last night but I think google was broken for me, it gave me almost nothing.

    But having looked around the office, and being interviewed, I wasn't satisfied. I was called in for an administrative position and they told me you have to start off with direct marketing first and I told them I have no experience there, and somehow, I was chosen for a second interview.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. BEWARE!!!!! ALLTREPRENEUR HORIZO - SCAM

    NYPE is now also operating under a new company name Alltrepreneur Horizon in WHITE PLAINS, NY. I did research and found the job description to be exactly the same as NYPE. I contacted them and told them I'm not interested and then NYPE contacted me with an opportunity. Coincidence? I think not.

    Different contact names - same people!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am from USA I saw This Blog. This is very Informative. Really Good if you want to know about event marketing visit Event Mobile Marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. After reading some nice stuff in your article I really feel speechlessstreet teams

    ReplyDelete
  41. After study a few of the posts on this website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it and will be checking back soon. promotional event company

    ReplyDelete